Hobocollector.com

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Hobocollector.com

Hobo Collector's Forum

4 posters

A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story

adamleech

A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story Empty A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story

Post  adamleech Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Dear Fellow Hobo Collectors,

I am writing you all today with hat in hand (hobo hat, that is!) to request your support for a documentary film I began working on in January of this year. As many of you know, my friend Jim and I successfully hitchhiked to the 19th annual OHNS board meeting and auction, and have compiled a significant amount of footage that has yet to be edited. We also realized that we have some gaping holes in our story, and will need to accumulate additional footage and interviews in order to tell the story of the Hobo Nickel in all of its lush detail.

I have launched a fundraising effort through a website called kickstarter.com, and am attempting to raise $38,013 by November 13th, 2011, to cover the expenses we will incur while finishing and editing the film. Jim and I also plan on filming addition footage at the meeting this January, and look forward to getting additional interviews with anyone and everyone in attendance, and anyone else you all can suggest we talk with. I realize this is a large amount of money, but I feel it is absolutely imperative to make a finished film that is as captivating as the subject that it is about.

Please contact me, or search kickstarter.com for "A Nickel and a Nail" for details of the project, and a link to make contributions, as the message board will not allow me to post directly.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback and support, whether it be financial or otherwise. I look forward to making you all proud of our collective fascination with such a truly wonderful and unique form of American folk art.

Sincerely,

Adam Leech OHNS #1098
    mrthe
    mrthe

A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story Empty Re: A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story

Post  mrthe Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:40 am

Hello Adam, i will like to be able to help to something in the project although the truth me recently my economy is not very good, i will be happy to donate for your project a Hobo nickel carved by my ,auctioning it in ebay and donating its collection, i don`t know if you he can seem good idea,or if is possible donate with paypal, but good ,how you says in the United States? these are my "Buffalo" 5 cts.
    Let me know
    Harpuahound

A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story Empty Re: A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story

Post  Harpuahound Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:08 pm

This is a very cool project and I really hope it makes it to completion. I would love to see the photage. I will be heading over to kickstarter.
    adamleech

Post  adamleech Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am

Any support, of any kind, is greatly appreciated! I would absolutely love to have more carvers get involved...

mrthe wrote:Hello Adam, i will like to be able to help to something in the project although the truth me recently my economy is not very good, i will be happy to donate for your project a Hobo nickel carved by my ,auctioning it in ebay and donating its collection, i don`t know if you he can seem good idea,or if is possible donate with paypal, but good ,how you says in the United States? these are my "Buffalo" 5 cts.
    Let me know
    mrthe
    mrthe

Post  mrthe Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:18 am

adamleech wrote:Any support, of any kind, is greatly appreciated! I would absolutely love to have more carvers get involved...

mrthe wrote:Hello Adam, i will like to be able to help to something in the project although the truth me recently my economy is not very good, i will be happy to donate for your project a Hobo nickel carved by my ,auctioning it in ebay and donating its collection, i don`t know if you he can seem good idea,or if is possible donate with paypal, but good ,how you says in the United States? these are my "Buffalo" 5 cts.
    Let me know
    Ok let me know how is the best way to do that,i can carve the coin, send you the photos and the info, and you can sell it in ebay if you are a seller ,and after i can ship it to the winner of the auction? maybe is the better way because my english is veruy bad and you will explain in the info of the auction that is for support the project and maybe is the best way to reduce paypal,and ebay fees,because if i sell it and after i make you the payment you will lose money ,let me know Wink
    adamleech

Post  adamleech Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Actually, I am not allowed to contribute to my own project, so if you post and sell it on ebay, you can donate the money towards my total (I don't get anything If I can't reach the full goal). Feel free to copy and paste info from the site, or post a link to kickstarter... Thanks!!!

mrthe wrote:
    adamleech wrote:Any support, of any kind, is greatly appreciated! I would absolutely love to have more carvers get involved...

Let me know
    Ok let me know how is the best way to do that,i can carve the coin, send you the photos and the info, and you can sell it in ebay if you are a seller ,and after i can ship it to the winner of the auction? maybe is the better way because my english is veruy bad and you will explain in the info of the auction that is for support the project and maybe is the best way to reduce paypal,and ebay fees,because if i sell it and after i make you the payment you will lose money ,let me know Wink
    Ron Landis

Post  Ron Landis Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:53 pm

This is a great project Adam! I hope to kick in a little myself when my $ situation gets better. In the mean time, please let me know if there is any other way I can help.
    adamleech

Post  adamleech Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Ron, thanks for your support. I am working on compiling a set of modern carvings to auction to help raise proceeds, so if you wanted to donate a carving, or perhaps some of your old mint items, that would be super cool of you. The OHNS has hinted that I might be able to put the items in the FUN auction this January, but my deadline to raise kickstarter.com funds is set in stone for Nov. 13th. D'oh!

I have yet to make any formal requests, but word is starting to spread around on its own, so I had better get on it!

Thanks again.

P.S. if any other modern carvers are reading this, and want to get in on the action, please email me...

theleechpit(at)gmail(dot)com

mrthe
    mrthe

Post  mrthe Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Adam we have to sent the carvings to you?
    Let me know and send me your adress if yes and the next week i will send you a carving.
    adamleech

Post  adamleech Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:19 pm

So, I think I figured out the best way to do this. If you are a carver, and would like to donate a coin to help me make my movie, please send the coin to:

Adam Leech
    c/o The Leechpit
    802 N. Nevada Ave.
    Colorado Springs, CO

I will then post your coin as a "reward" on my kickstarter website (link below) at whatever fixed price you think your coin is worth, and the first "backer" to donate will receive the coin as soon as I reach my funding goal. If I do not reach my goal by Nov. 13th, I will either return your coin to you, or donate the coin to an ebay auction as a second attempt at fundraising...

Give me a call if you have any questions, otherwise, thank you kindly! I appreciate all the support and encouragement of this significant undertaking!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1053814000/a-nickel-and-a-nail-the-original-hobo-nickel-story
    mrthe
    mrthe

Post  mrthe Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Adam ,tomorrow i will send you this nickeli hope will help your project ,good luck!
    Is Pennywise the Clown from the movie IT.

A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story Pennywise
    A Nickel and a Nail: The Original Hobo Nickel Story Pennywisebanner
    adamleech

Post  adamleech Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Your coin arrived today... Thank you so much for your generous contribution! I will post it to my kickstarter page tonight or tomorrow!
    mrthe
    mrthe

Post  mrthe Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:31 pm

i'm happy to know that the nickel is arrived good luck Adam Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:16 am